At the end of the year last year, I had ED cut out and put together a math lapbook. We didn’t go over much of the material in it, but I wanted the lapbook mostly done for the beginning of this year.
We had a few finishing touches. For example, we hadn’t attached the left and right hands — so ED glued those on the front of her lapbook. (We have yet to add a title as well!)
If you’ve never made a lapbook, you can see that you take the front and back of the file folder and fold them to meet in the center. You can add pages on the inside as needed. For this lapbook, I taped in one more page (another file folder cut in half).
She also glued in the doubles (1+1 through 9+9):
Yesterday I explained that ED is learning the concept of odd-even numbers. We pulled out her lapbook and we played the butterfly game for the first time. We took out all the butterflies and each took a butterfly net. ED rolled the die and pulled out that number of butterflies to put in her net. Then I rolled the die and grabbed that number of butterflies. ED then spun the spinner to see who would win the round. If it landed on odd — then anyone who had an odd number of butterflies won. If it landed on more — then the person with the most butterflies won the round. It was quite possible that we tied for that round.
Tomorrow I’ll explain a little bit more about what we’re doing with the calendar pieces of the math lapbook.
If you are interested, feel free to the PreK-K Math Lapbook here. It’s free to download, but I sure do love hearing from you if you find it useful. You can leave a comment over at my Homeschool Den Facebook Page. That’s also a great place to catch up on some of my old posts as well. It’s a quick, easy way to see what you’ve missed.
If that link doesn’t work for you for some reason, I’ve also uploaded it to the pdf delivery service I use and you can get a copy by clicking this link as well : PreK-K Math Lapbook – via Sendowl. After you enter your email, the link will appear to download the file and an email with the link will be sent to your inbox. (It will say thank you for your order, though of course it is free.) ~Liesl
In this post, I explained a little bit more about what we did with the calendar pieces of the math lapbook. Also, there is a free Daily Calendar Page at that post as well, which looks like this:
You might enjoy some of the active games she played: Math Facts: Make it Active! Make it Fun!!
You might also be interested in:
A-Hoy Maties! Pirate Math Pack – 65+ page (for ages 4 to 6)
- Hands-on math activity ideas (what we did when we had math time together)
- Month and Days of the Week Cards
- Pirate Clocks – Match the analog clock with the digital clock
- Make 5 and Make 10 playing cards
- A doubling game board and game cards (1+1, 2+2… 8+8, 9+9)
- Doubling Bump Game
- Doubling +1 game board and game cards (1+2, 2+3… 7+8, 8+9)
- Doubling +1 Bump Game
- Math practice worksheets
- Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen math fact cards and sorting mat
- Skip Counting by 5s tracing sheets
Telling Time Kitty Clocks, which I’ll probably add to the lapbook.
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Free Math Lapbook (PreK-K)
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- U.S. Landmarks and Symbols – 3 part cards (Free Montessori Cards)
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
- Animals and Their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Montessori 3-Part Cards
Dinosaur Packet and Lapbook for Ages 3-7: 60+ Page Dinosaur Packet!
- Montessori 3-Part Dinosaur Cards
- Dinosaur Lapbook
- Letter Recognition Activities
- Number Activities and Games
- Dinosaur Game Board
- Fast Fact Information Cards
- Dinosaur Writing Cards
- Math Games
- Bingo Cards and more!