We have been studying Ancient China this semester. We are using The Story of Ancient China (affiliate link) (see more about that below) as our spine, but also have read selections from the Story of the World (affiliate link) and the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. This is the packet that I made to go along with some of our readings. These Ancient China worksheets are free to download if you can use them:
Ancient China Worksheet Packet -Chinese Dynasties Shang Zhou Qin – Notebook Pages
In addition to the long list I shared with you of children’s fiction and non-fiction books about China, we are using the The Story of Ancient China (affiliate link) by Suzanne Strauss Art as our spine. It’s a wonderful textbook to read aloud to elementary age students. Middle school students would have no trouble reading this on their own. We have the earlier edition because we bought it used. If you are doing a unit/semester just on China, I highly recommend this book!
We read the legend about how silk came to be made in Story of the World and the kids summarized what we read on one of the sheets from the packet I made:
And as we studied the Shang Dynasty, we had a lot of fun learning some of the Chinese characters. A couple of books we recommend are
- Long is a Dragon: Chinese Writing for Children Terrific introduction to calligraphy.
- Liu and the Bird: A journey in Chinese Calligraphy Introduces Chinese characters
The kids created little flap books to add to their history notebook:
We also read the book, Bound (affiliate link), when we first started this unit. It is wonderful. We highly recommend it!
This is a really fun choose your own adventure book that your kids might like as well: Ancient China: An Interactive History Adventure (You Choose: Historical Eras) (affiliate link)
Note: When we talked about Ancient China again, my girls both did map projects on the Great Wall of China using project blocks (affiliate link). I thought I would include a couple photos of their projects here in case your kids are interested!
Be sure to check out our Ancient World notebook pages! This set includes 28 blank pages including early history, ancient India, China, Greece, Rome and more!
- China Unit: Books, Books! A Huge List of Children’s Books – This is a comprehensive list of all the children and youth books we could find relating to China. Since my kids range from 6-10, I wanted books that would appeal to my kindergartner as well as novels to read to my older kids. You can download and print our list out.
Remember, we have lots of other history resources as well:
- Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan — Free Notebook Pages, Books, and Resources
- Marco Polo – Free Notebook Pages, Books and Resources
- Free India Learning Packet
- Learning about Hinduism: The Hindu Gods and Goddesses
- Buddhism Learning Pack
- Free Ancient World Worksheets (Egypt, Mesopotamia, India)
- Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome Worksheets and Activities
- Ancient Greece Unit for Kindergarten, Grade 1 or 2
- Feudalism and Medieval Life Packet
- European History Packet 1500-1750 – Renaissance, Reformation, Age of Absolutism, Scientific Revolution,
- Navajo Indians – History Notebook Pages
- World Facts Packet – We often startout the semester going over some basic information such as: *What are the 4 largest countries in the world? What countries have the largest population? Then we went over some basic facts about world geographical features (the longest river, tallest mountains, largest cities, etc.) and more.
- Oregon Trail Lapbook and Notebook Pages
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here: