Montessori Cards: Vertebrates-Invertebrates; 5 Vertebrate Groups
It is animal week for my youngest daughter. We’ve been touching on vertebrates and invertebrates since the kids were little, but I wanted to go back and make sure ED really knew the characteristics of these groups and how animals are classified.
First, we went over the difference between Vertebrates and Invertebrates again. We brought out our model frog skeleton again for a closer look!
Then she went over the 5 Vertebrate Groups. She did this a number of times over the course of a couple of weeks.
We store these (and other Montessori-style cards we have) in a clear pencil case:
Montessori Cards: Vertebrate-Invertebrate Sort — Mammal Fish Reptile Amphibian Bird Sort
This file has recently been updated and is now included in our Animal Packet. See this post for more details or scroll down below.
Someone asked where I got the frog skeleton. I actually bought it used from a friend, but I see that Amazon sells it. It is called a Transparent Bullfrog. (affiliate link) We pull the skeleton out several times a year and have found it really useful. It’s a really nice size–about fourteen inches or so. There is also an 11-inch transparent frog (affiliate link) that has some internal organs.
You might also be interested in our Animal Vertebrate-Invertebrate Packet with activities on vertebrate groups and their characteristics, invertebrate groups, domesticated vs. wild animals, and animal track cards and matching pages. You can find out more about it at this post (which shows in more detail what is included): Animal Unit: Types of Animals Worksheet Packet or you can purchase it below:
The Animal Unit: Vertebrate-Invertebrate Packet is well over 100 pages. This is now available for purchase. It is $5.99.
It includes 3 pdfs: Animal Packet (100+ pages), Animal Classification Activity and the Vertebrate-Invertebrate Sorting Cards.
Once you pay for this packet, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use), which will have a link you can click on to download the Animal Unit. Of course, if you have any issues just email me.
You may be interested in these related posts:
- We also studied Earthworms: Hands-On Invertebrate Fun! Part I – Earthworms and the earthworm life cycle
- We also studied Planaria (a type of flatworm): Hands-On Invertebrate Fun! Part II – Planarian – which you can order. They are easy to care for and are fascinating to study because they regenerate.
- Animals and Their Groups
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Biology Unit: Animal Tracks and Animal Anatomy
- Animals Around the World – Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Animal Portfolio Project (for ages 8-10 or so)
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
Biology Unit: Biomes Worksheets and Cards, Food Web, Biological Interactions: We are studying the biosphere again. We will be covering habitats, ecosystems, biomes, the climate zones, food chains, food webs, energy pyramid and more!
Check out our Dinosaur Packet for Ages 3-7
Dinosaur Packet: We are SO excited, our 60+ Page Dinosaur Packet is finally ready!! It includes
- Montessori 3-Part Dinosaur Cards
- Dinosaur Lapbook
- Letter Recognition Activities
- Number Activities and Games
- Dinosaur Game Board
- Coloring Pages
- Herbivores vs. Carnivore Sorting Activity
- Fast Fact Information Cards
- Dinosaur Writing Cards
- Bingo Cards and more!
Other Preschool related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
Related Montessori-Style Posts:
- You might also be interested in last weeks post where I shared the free Montessori World Pin Map.
- Rainforest Plants (from around the world)
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.