Preschool at Home: Geography Activities (Maps and More) Ages 4+
There are so many fun things you can do with your preschooler (or elementary kids) to help them gain an understanding of the geography of our amazing world! You can make all kinds of maps to enhance your preschooler’s knowledge of the world.
Over the years we have made maps…
with sand, dirt and grass seed like our Nile River Valley
Out of clay, like our Ancient Greece (and Mediterranean Sea) map (Ancient Greece Geography Project, Ancient Greece Geography Project and Ancient Greece Geography:Part 2)
Out of graham crackers, like our map of Britain
and out of cookie dough like our map of South America (with the Andes as chocolate chips!)
You can study and color world flags
And use world flags with pin maps, like we did with the countries of Asia
and with the countries in Africa
You can use geography puzzles:
You can toss a globe around and identify the continent (or country) your thumb lands on when you catch it:
You can study famous landmarks and make replicas
You can locate famous rivers and lakes:
And you can study all the geography land form (and water form) terms like lakes, peninsulas, isthmus, bay and create them at home:
You can make your own world globe!
You can make food from different places… like our almond soup when we tried different foods from Africa
or pretzels from Germany
You can study a specific country and learn all about their history, culture and music like when we studied Japan, India,
You can try to arrange a country box exchange, which we’ve done with homeschoolers from or living in Singapore, France, different states in the U.S.
Country Box Exchange: China
Country Box Exchange: Gambia
Or you could participate in a postcard exchange from around the U.S. or around the world!
Hope you have fun exploring our amazing world!
Other related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Free Math Lapbook (PreK-K)
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Free Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
- Rainforest Plants (from around the world)
Free and Useful Montessori Resources:
- Living Montessori Now – This website has a wonderful collection of how parents are instituting Montessori inspired activities in their homes.
- ETC Montessori – Free Downloadable Materials
- Montessori Mom – This wonderful website has an extensive list of various Montessori resources.
- Montessori Album – A growing site with lots of photos.
- Montessori Materials – Lots of free resources. I especially love and use the paper purple beads for place value work in math (see “Bead Materials ones and tens, beads: hundreds and thousands. See my post about using these materials here.
- Montessori for Everyone–Offers free downloads each month–sorting cards such as the seasons, where things come from, animal tracks and more.