Are your kids studying words that have the Long I sound? They might enjoy the activities in this packet. It contains a word sort, board game and bingo cards for reviewing the long /i/ spelling patterns: ie, y, i-e, igh, ind and i.
I made this long /i/ word sort file folder game for ED. She went over many of these words (and rules) last year, but she will definitely need some review this fall. She chose the castle and unicorn theme, though I know my other daughter would never have gone for that!! So, I also included the same word sort with colorful circles. The object is for kids to sort the words quickly into different word families. This helps them with their visual memory of the words.
- Y: shy, try, fly, cry, why, sky
- I_E (i silent e): fire, nice, side, bike, mine, wide
- IE (vowel team): lie, die, cries, tries, pie, tie
- Print out the castle pages out on cardstock.
- Print out either the unicorn words or the circle words out on card stock. Cut out each word.
- Tape of glue the castle sort pages into a file folder (with one that expands out as pictured below).
- Tape a ziploc bag to the file folder to keep the words contained.
- There are two practice pages. They are the same — just one has unicorns and one is plain. You will also find an answer sheet at the end of the packet.
- Once the kids get really good at sorting, the next step is to read the word aloud and have the student tell which way the word is spelled.
Here is a picture of Long i Sound Board Game. Usually I read the card aloud and ED has to try to figure out the spelling before moving her token to the next available unicorn (spot) on the board. It is included in the packet above.
There is also a practice page for changing the Y to I and adding and ending and also making plurals from words like puppy, daisy, family, and butterfly.
Update: Recently, ED has been reviewing the Long I sound again. I made a new set of activities and added them to this file. This time, she was reviewing a number of rules for words that make the Long I Sound. This part of the file includes some bingo cards as well. This has been a big hit with my daughter!
- y – my, spy, fry, fly, etc.
- ie — tie, lie, pie, etc.
- i-e — nice, wide, bite, etc.
- igh — night, right, tight, etc.
- ind – kind, find, grind, etc.
- i – item, icycle, item, ivory, etc.
The Long “I” Word Sort and Board Game comes as a bundle with the Long A Sound Word Sort and Game. You will receive 2 files to download.
Be sure to check out the new Spelling BUNDLE option below!
After you enter your details in Paypal, you will receive a link immediately to download both pdfs in your browser. Sendowl (the service I use) will also send you the link to download the pdf in an email to your PayPal email address. As always, if you have any questions or problems feel free to send me an email using the Contact Form or directly at liesl at homeschoolden dot com. ~Liesl
Remember to check the email address associated with your PayPal email address for the link (or feel free to email me!).
Meanwhile, ED is still reviewing the Long A Sounds for spelling. (She started working on last spring). You can learn more about this printable by visiting this post: Long A Sounds /ay/ – a, ai, ay, a-e, ei, eigh, ey –Sorting Cards and Board Game!
This is a supplement to the spelling program we use, All About Spelling (affiliate link).
We *love* this program because it’s multi-sensory… and logical. It lays out spelling rules and the program builds upon itself. We’ve been using it for about five years now! (We started when LD was around 6 or 7.) Read more about All About Spelling at their website (click the tile above) or in this post Our Homeschool Language Arts, Spelling, and Grammar Curriculum
Spelling Packets – Quick Preview (Glance through all of the spelling games/activities listed below)
$3.00 ie ei Words – Worksheets, Activities & Games for words spelled ie (such as piece, chief, yield, ancient, science, glacier, goalie) and words spelled with ei (such as receive, beige, foreign, ceiling, receipt and more!)
$18.99 Spelling BUNDLE – Buy all of the packets listed above (and any that I create in the future). The Spelling Bundle includes: 1. Long A & Long I Packet 2. Long E Packet 3. ou/ow oy/oi au/aw Packet 4. /er/ Sound Packet 5. /k/ Sound Packet 6. /ul/ Sound Packet 7. ie/ei Words Packet Spelling Packets – Quick Preview
You might be interested in these related posts:
- Long E Sound Sorting Cards and Activities
- Free Cupcake Contraction Activity and worksheet — A free sorting activity and worksheets for practicing changing words such as don’t, hasn’t, won’t, wouldn’t, he’d, etc.
Other grammar worksheets and activities on our blog (most of these grammar sheets are free to download):
- Their, They’re, There – Its, It’s Free Practice Sheets
- Comma Rules and Practice Worksheets
- Comma Rules and Practice Worksheets (Fall Theme)
- Grammar Practice: Possessive Nouns and Pronouns
- Free Grammar Worksheets: Homophones (words that sound the same, but are spelled differently)
- The use of apostrophes, quotation marks and underlining
- 11 Comma Rules and Practice
- Grammar Practice Sheets: Irregular Verbs and Nouns
- More Irregular Verb and Plural Noun Practice Sheets
- Grammar Sheets: Lay-Lie, Piece-Peace, Accept-Except