I have just updated the Properties of Matter Chemistry Packet to include a new interactive notebook activity and chemistry review worksheet on pages 92 to 102 of the packet.
The Properties of Matter packet covers topics such as elements and compounds, mixtures, physical and chemical properties, molecular vs. structural formulas and includes hands-on activities on some of these properties (viscosity, cohesion, capillary action, and density).
We are going spend a few days reviewing this material. As many of you might remember, my youngest started off the year last year with this middle school chemistry unit on the physical and chemical properties of matter. We actually didn’t get to the density activities because we jumped right into the Electricity and Circuits Unit.
I did an extensive update last year as well to the original Properties of Matter Packet, adding in dozens of pages of materials! With the new pages I just added, this Properties of Matter Packet is now just over 100 pages.
Note: If you ordered the Properties of Matter packet previously (or the Chemistry BUNDLE), be sure to check your PayPal email address for the latest update from SendOwl (or just drop me an email and I’ll get you your download link!) ~Liesl
What is included in the Properties of Matter Packet?
This 100-page Properties of Matter packet covers:
- Elements & Compounds
- Organization of the Periodic Table (on a very basic level, our Chemistry Unit goes into *much* more detail on that!). In this unit there is just one page on that. The Chemistry Unit is more than 75 pages and goes into detail about valence electrons, periods, groups, Lewis Diagrams, and so forth. I would do the Chemistry Unit after the Properties of Matter Unit.
- Molecular vs. structural formulas
- Physical and Chemical Properties
- Basic definitions (of terms such as viscosity, elasticity, capillarity, ductility, malleability, etc.)
- Hands-On Activities of some of these properties (viscosity, cohesion, capillary action, etc.)
- Density Activities
- Mixtures: Solutions, Colloids and Suspensions
- Separating Mixtures
- Property of Matter Interactive Notebook Activity
- Review Materials
- Building Molecules
Elements, Compounds, Mixtures
Here are first half-dozen pictures of so as we talk about the difference between elements, compounds and mixtures:
Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
We’ll then talk about the Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter. There are a number of worksheets covering these terms (viscosity, elasticity, capillarity, ductility, malleability, etc.).
Plus, we’ll be doing a half-dozen hands-on activities on viscosity, cohesion, capillary action, etc. Directions and photos are included in the packet!
There is an entire section on density with various hands-on activities:
More about Mixtures
We went over the difference between a solute and a solvent… and did a couple of hands-on activities to explore those.
Materials we used in this unit: (These are affiliate links.)
- Molecular Model Kit for building molecules (see pages 72-84 in the packet)
- Graduated cylinder set: We got this glass graduated cylinder set: Karter Scientific Glass Graduated Cylinder 3 Piece Set 10, 50 & 100ml
- We got this Density Cube Set but this set of 10 would work well too: Density Cube Set. I saw cheap sets, but was worried when people said the dimensions of the cubes were off. Carolina.com (a science supply company also has Density Cube sets.)
- Equal mass set (Diverse materials): There are different options available. We got this set which has brass, aluminum, nylon, PVC, and clear acrylic. It worked fine for our purposes.
- We also had a scale that could measure in grams. We purchased the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. This kitchen scale has been perfect for our needs (and we’ve used it pretty regularly for science in the past few years).
The Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter Packetis 100-pages. It includes lots of hands-on activity ideas (with instructions) and teacher notes/answer pages. You do not need to purchase any other books (though I always recommend you grab some books from your local library to read with your kids!). 🙂
See the new Chemistry BUNDLE option below.
The Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter Packet is currently $6.99. This unit is a PDF download.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions or problems! ~Liesl
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link!!
New! Chemistry BUNDLE purchase these 4 units together
- States of Matter Packet
- Properties of Matter Packet
- Electricity & Circuits Packet
- Chemistry Packet
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link.
You can also purchase these 4 packets separately
Click on the link to see more details about each of these units:
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. ~Liesl
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here. The Welcome Series includes 5 packed emails… with tips on homeschooling, keeping motivated, finding various resources and freebies tucked away on the blog and more!
Plus, you’ll be the first to hear about new packets (generally offered at a discount when they are first released), seasonal resources and more!
P.S. Feel free to ask me questions! You can email me here.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.