We are starting off the year with this middle school chemistry unit on the physical and chemical properties of matter. I have done an extensive update to the original Properties of Matter Packet, adding in dozens of pages of materials! This packet is well over 50 pages and includes various hands-on activities and all the teacher-notes/answer pages (bringing it closer to 100 pages in all!)
Note: If you ordered the Properties of Matter packet previously (or the bundle with the States of Matter unit), be sure to check your PayPal email address for the latest update from SendOwl (or just drop me an email and I’ll get you your download link!) ~Liesl
What is included in the Properties of Matter Packet?
This 50+ page Properties of Matter packet covers:
- Elements & Compounds
- Organization of the Periodic Table (on a very basic level, our Chemistry Unit goes into *much* more detail on that!). In this unit there is just one page on that. The Chemistry Unit is more than 75 pages and goes into detail about valence electrons, periods, groups, Lewis Diagrams, and so forth. I would do the Chemistry Unit after the Properties of Matter Unit.
- Molecular vs. structural formulas
- Physical and Chemical Properties
- Basic definitions (of terms such as viscosity, elasticity, capillarity, ductility, malleability, etc.)
- Hands-On Activities of some of these properties (viscosity, cohesion, capillary action, etc.)
- Density Activities
- Mixtures: Solutions, Colloids and Suspensions
- Separating Mixtures
- Review Materials
- Building Molecules
Elements, Compounds, Mixtures
Here are first half-dozen pictures of so as we talk about the difference between elements, compounds and mixtures:
Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
We’ll then talk about the Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter. There are a number of worksheets covering these terms (viscosity, elasticity, capillarity, ductility, malleability, etc.).
Plus, we’ll be doing a half-dozen hands-on activities on viscosity, cohesion, capillary action, etc. Directions and photos are included in the packet!
There is an entire section on density with various hands-on activities:
More about Mixtures
We went over the difference between a solute and a solvent… and did a couple of hands-on activities to explore those.
Materials we used in this unit: (These are affiliate links.)
- Molecular Model Kit for building molecules (see pages 72-84 in the packet)
- Graduated cylinder set: We got this glass graduated cylinder set: Karter Scientific Glass Graduated Cylinder 3 Piece Set 10, 50 & 100ml
- We got this Density Cube Set but this set of 10 would work well too: Density Cube Set. I saw cheap sets, but was worried when people said the dimensions of the cubes were off. Carolina.com (a science supply company also has Density Cube sets.)
- Equal mass set (Diverse materials): There are different options available. We got this set which has brass, aluminum, nylon, PVC, and clear acrylic. It worked fine for our purposes.
- We also had a scale that could measure in grams. We purchased the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. This kitchen scale has been perfect for our needs (and we’ve used it pretty regularly for science in the past few years).
The Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter Packetis now 100 pages. It includes lots of hands-on activity ideas (with instructions) and teacher notes/answer pages. You do not need to purchase any other books (though I always recommend you grab some books from your local library to read with your kids!). 🙂
See the new Chemistry BUNDLE option below.
The Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter Packet is currently $6.99. This unit is a PDF download.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions or problems! ~Liesl
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link!!
New! Chemistry BUNDLE purchase these 4 units together
- States of Matter Packet
- Properties of Matter Packet
- Electricity & Circuits Packet
- Chemistry Packet
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link.
$23.99 Chemistry BUNDLE (States of Matter Packet, Properties of Matter Packet, Electricity & Circuits Packet, Chemistry Packet)
You can also purchase these 4 packets separately
Click on the link to see more details about each of these units:
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. ~Liesl
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here. It’s a great way to hear about our latest packets and to learn about many of the hundreds of printables & other materials we have tucked away on the blog!