Writing Workshop – Fairy Tale Writing Paper
We have been using this fairy tale stationery in our Writing Workshop to practice creating stories with dialogues. Specifically, the kids are focusing on using quotation marks and commas properly. This packet has writing pages for these fairy tales: Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks, and Frankenstein.
Mini-Lesson: Before we began writing, we talked about the many variations and stylistic differences among different authors. You might want to read one or two children’s books where the authors give familiar fairy tales their own twist. Here are some suggestions that might work well for this mini-lesson include (These are affiliate links):
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas
- Cinder Edna by Ella Jackson
- Trust Me, Jack’s Beanstalk Stinks! (The Other Side of the Story) by Eric Braun (Currently free on Kindle Unlimited)
- Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood by Liesl Shurtliff… I have to add this to the list because DD loved, loved, loved this book and not just because the author and I share the same first name!! This was one of the first authors DD wrote to… and was floored when Liesl Shurtliff wrote her back! It’s a longer book, but comes highly recommended by my daughter! 🙂
Before my kids actually began writing their own fairy tale stories, we went over the rules about using quotation marks and commas with dialogue. I also brought out a novel and showed them how each speaker’s line started a new paragraph (and it was indented). I recommend that you point that out to your kids too! Despite going over this right before we started to write, they got so caught up in writing their stories that they didn’t start a new paragraph when a different character starts to speak. They definitely need more work on that skill… but their fairy tales have been really creative and they’ve been enjoying writing! I hope your kids do to!
This Fairy Tale Writing Paper set has pages for Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks, and Frankenstein.
This Fairy Tale Writing Set is $1.50. It is about 10 pages.
Once you pay for this packet, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use) to your Paypal email address, which will have a link you can click on to download the Simple Machines unit. (It will say, “You can download your digital products…” with a clickable link. It may take a few moments to arrive.) Be sure to check your spam folder. Of course, if you have any issues just email me at — liesl at homeschoolden dot com. You can also reach me by using the contact form on the blog.
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link.
Hope your kids enjoy this writing stationery! ~Liesl
How and Why We Started Using a Homeschool Writing Workshop:
- Creating a Homeschool Writing Workshop – Post #1 — How/Why we needed a change in our writing program
- Creating a Homeschool Writing Workshop – Post #2: Creating a Writing Workshop Area and Materials to Have on Hand
- Creating a Writing Workshop Post #3: This post is about Mini-Lessons during writing time, mentor texts and includes reviews of 8 or 9 writing books that you might find helpful.
- Writing Workshop Mini-Lesson: Rules for Writing and the Story Writing Process — Have your kids read the Plot Chicken? We started our Writing Workshop this year off with this book. What a great buk, buk!! In fact, I liked it so much that I created a chicken writing rules printable to go along with the book!
- How do I Help the Kids to Start Writing?! 5 Lessons Ideas for the Writing Workshop (Day 1)
- What makes a good book or story?
- Make your story come alive with details and description.
- Creating Interesting Characters
- Story Openings: Set the mood or feeling of your story
- Gathering story ideas from your own life
- Alliteration and more
- Adding Details Exercise Don’t miss this one, the kids LOVED this activity!!
- Writing Workshop: Conflict in Literature (Man vs. Man, Man vs. Self, etc)
- Writing Workshop Discussion Questions
- Writing Workshop Mini-Lesson: Rules for Writing and the Story Writing Process
Other Writing Posts that might be of interest:
You might also be interested in our growing Addition Bundle:
The Addition Bundle includes 9 pdf files, 250+ pages (and growing!)
1. the Pirate Pack which includes 65 pages of math activities
3. Pet Pack addition worksheets and games
5. Dragon Math Packet (Addition, Subtraction worksheets & games)
8. Seasonal Math Games: St. Patrick’s Day Subtraction Games – Easy, Challenging Games
9. Seasonal Math Activities: Easter – Jelly Bean Activities
You can visit these posts if you want even more information!
Pirate Math Packet – The Pirate Math Pack is over 65 pages!
Why learn the number families? Knowing their fact families helps a lot as kids start to work on their subtraction facts. They know that 6+7=13, so 13-7 becomes easy! Dragon Math Packet (Addition, Subtraction worksheets & games)
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. ~Liesl