Nocturnal – Diurnal Animals (Free 3-Part Montessori Cards)
This week ED and I read two books together: What Makes Day and Night (affiliate link) and Totally Amazing Night Animals. (affiliate links.) She really enjoyed both of them and we added in some activities to go with these books.
After we read through What Makes Day and Night (affiliate link), we spent a lot of time in the dark bathroom! First I held the flashlight and shined it at her as she spun around like Earth. Then we got out the globe and we spun it around as she watched:
Then we spent several days reading through the really fun book, Totally Amazing Night Animals. It has little snippets about all kinds of night critters. It’s an amusing book with great pictures and cute cartoon type drawings on each page. My kids have TOTALLY loved this entire series (though you’d have to buy it used at Amazon).
I couldn’t find quite what I wanted free out on the web, so I quickly made a set of Montessori type cards of Nocturnal and Diurnal animals. All of the kids took a turn sorting through the cards. ED also matched the names of the animals to the cards once she had sorted them. If your child is younger, you can have them match the pictures as well, but ED didn’t have any interest in doing that this time round.
You can download the free Montessori sort cards that I made here:
If you were able to use these in your home or classroom, I’d love to hear from you over on my Homeschool Den Facebook Page! That’s also a great place to catch up on all of my old posts as I have a running list of all my latest posts!
Have a great day! ~Liesl
You might also be interested in these related Montessori posts where you’ll find other free Montessori 3-part cards I’ve made over the years.
Be sure to see the related posts:
- Animals and Their Groups
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Free Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Animal Portfolio Project (for ages 8-10 or so)
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
We have some animal track cards and matching pages in our Animal Unit: Find out more about it at this post Animal Unit: Types of Animals (30+ Pages)
Dinosaur Packet for Ages 3-7
Dinosaur Packet: Be sure to check out our 60+ Page Dinosaur Packet. It includes
- Montessori 3-Part Dinosaur Cards
- Dinosaur Lapbook
- Letter Recognition Activities
- Number Activities and Games
- Dinosaur Game Board
- Coloring Pages
- Herbivores vs. Carnivore Sorting Activity
- Fast Fact Information Cards
- Dinosaur Writing Cards
- Bingo Cards and more!
Other Preschool related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
Related Montessori-Style Posts:
- We have a free Montessori World Pin Map printable.
- Rainforest Plants (from around the world)
If you liked these, I’d love to hear from you over at my Homeschool Den Facebook Page. That’s also a great place to quickly browse through past posts you may have missed. Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter! ~Liesl