Earth Science: Plate Movements & Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Mountain-Making
Here’s our hands-on studies of tectonic plate movements, 2nd grade style.
a tray with a thin layer of chilled jello (jelly)
graham crackers for the earth’s crustal plates
colored icing (green-continents and blue-oceans)
|You can see LD putting the continent and ocean onto his plate (ie. graham cracker).|
|Next, we pushed the plates together and showed how at times the magma is forced up between the plates… ie forming volcanoes. We looked at a map that shows the Pacific Ring of Fire (the ring of volcanoes in the Pacific Ocean region). Here’s an example of the Ring of Fire.|
Be sure to check out our 100+ page Earth Science Packet!!
Learn how to make a earthquake shake table, more than a dozen hands-on activities on the layers of the earth, volcanoes, earthquakes, plate movement and more!
Topics include: Solar System, Layers of the Earth, Earth’s Axis and the Seasons, Latitude and Longitude, Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, 4 Types of Mountains
You might also want to check out our Layers of the Atmosphere Packet
You will find this packet and more in our Store!
You might also be interested in these related posts:
- Learning about the Solar System – Including the hands-on kit the kids loved assembling and painting.
- Earth Science: Timeline of Earth Activity – A Montessori activity that is meant to impress kids with the enormity of time on Earth.
- Earth Science: Layers of the Earth hands-on Activity
- Earth’s Geologic Timeline – How scientists divide Earth’s history into eons and eras
- Learning about Latitude and Longitude, Using a Compass
- Earth Science: Plate Movement Hands-On Activities
- Earth Science: Layers of the Atmosphere
- Earth Science Packet: Layers of the Atmosphere
- Earth Science: Plate Movements, Pangea
- Plate Movement and Earthquakes
- Earth Science: Plate Movements and Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Mountain Making
- Earth Science: How Fold Mountains are Formed
- Topographic Maps
- World Biomes Pin Map
- Preschool Geography and More Preschool Geography Activities
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here: