To start off our unit on the digestive system, I had the kids look at a diagram and write down all the parts of the digestive system. That was the first section of the pack I made (more about that below). Then we took a closer look at the mouth.
We did these activities over the course of several days:
I asked the kids what the mouth’s role is in the digestive system. They quickly guessed chewing, but couldn’t go into much more detail than that.
We looked at the role of our teeth… and learned about the different types of teeth we have. We made “dental impressions” with Model Magic, modeling clay. We looked at the surface area created by our different types of teeth.
Did you know that everyone has a unique dental impression? We compared impressions — and it was super easy to figure out DD’s impression (she lost her front tooth!!)
I asked them to bite into a carrot and asked them where they put the carrot (in their two front teeth of course except for DD who has no front teeth at the moment!! Yes, she lost the other one! LOL! She enjoyed using our teeth puppet instead! Boy, you should have heard the sound effects… it sounded like a bear going after that carrot. It still makes me chuckle thinking about it!)
- Incisors: Cut or slice food
- Canines – tear or rip food. Naturally, we had to look closely at Boomer’s impressive canines!
- Premolars and Molars – grind the food.
This packet has been combined with the other worksheet sets in this unit. This packet also includes interactive notebook pieces (ie. lapbook pieces) Also included are the hands-on activities our kids did during this unit.
This 40+ page packet is now on sale for $4.00. See below for more details and all that is included:
This is an instant purchase. Upon receipt of payment from Paypal, you will receive a link to immediately download this packet.
This is an instant purchase. Once you pay for this packet via Paypal, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use) to your PayPal email address, which will have a link you can click on to download the Digestive System unit. (It will say, “You can download your digital products…” with a clickable link.) Of course, if you have any issues just email me at — liesl at homeschoolden dot com. You can also reach me by using the contact form on the blog or can reach me over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page.
The Digestive System Unit Packet now includes lapbook/notebook pieces: Also included are worksheets and our hand-on activities of the mouth
By the way, if you’re studying the mouth you might want to do this cute activity we did last year about the importance of brushing your teeth. Click on the picture for more details:
- Creating a Homeschool Science Curriculum (Elementary): Science topics to cover, choosing and preparing for units and more.
- Human Body Systems:
- Human Body Unit: Heart and Circulatory System Activities
- Human Body Unit: The Human Hand
- Human Body Unit: The Brain
- Human Body Egg-speriment: Protect that Brain!
- Human Body: Skeletal System
- Meet Vertebrae Man: Our Hands on Study of the Backbone and Nervous System
- Germ Lapbook
Check out our other science units:
- Rocks and Minerals: Free 25 page packet, free pages on the 3-types of rocks, lots of hands on activities
- Simple Machines: Lots of hands on activities and student worksheets: