Ocean Activities – diorama
The girls then added glue and sand along the bottom.
The kids have had a blast making various sea creatures. They made fish, jelly fish and sharks for nearly two hours! I found an amazing set of ocean craft ideas over at Playing House in Maryland.
We haven’t done that much sewing here at the Homeschool Den, so when I saw these cute projects over at future girl‘s blog I thought they’d be perfect. The kids each chose their own project. I thought they turned out pretty cute!
DD made the octopus. LD made the jellyfish. ED made the fish. DD and LD did the sewing completely on their own, although I threaded the embroidery thread through for the tentacles and LD did the knotting. I had to show ED where to place the needle. She only stabbed me once!
One of the books we used for this unit was Awesome Ocean Science!: Investigating the Secrets of the Underwater World (affiliate link) by Cindy Littlefield.
Another book full of ideas for learning about the ocean is: The Ocean Book: Aquarium and Seaside Activities and Ideas for All Ages (affiliate link)
- School of Fish Activity
- Layers of the Ocean: Ocean Zones
- Ocean Unit Freebies
- Ocean Animals and Their Groups
Be sure to see the related posts:
- Montessori Cards: Vertebrates and Invertebrates – Free Printable
- Animals and Their Groups
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Animal Portfolio Project (for ages 8-10 or so)
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
See you soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter! ~Liesl
Don’t miss our Animal Unit Packet with activities on vertebrate groups and their characteristics, invertebrate groups, domesticated vs. wild animals, and animal track cards and matching pages.
Other Preschool related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks