Ocean Unit Packet: Marine Habitats, Tides, Currents, Ocean Floor, Ocean Life, Bioluminescence and More!
I created this Ocean Unit because I could not find any curriculum that tackled all the topics I wanted to cover. In our ocean studies we explored
- Marine Habitats
- Coral Reefs
- Tide Pools
- Water Form Words (bay, estuary, lagoon, fjord, etc.)
- Features of the Ocean Floor (trench, seamount, guyot, etc.)
- Ocean Navigation (early navigation with astrolabes & the constellations, modern SONAR)
- Ocean Currents (Surface & Deep Sea Currents)
- Ocean Life:
- The Ocean Zones
- There are lots of hands-on activity ideas included too!
We also talked about the ocean zones and different layers of the ocean again (which we covered three or four years ago).
Answer Keys are provided with the notebook pages.
Recommended Ages: We did this unit in middle school, but it can be adapted for ages 10-15 or so. My kids were ages 8, 10 and 13 when we first did this unit. My youngest is now age 12 and she’s doing this unit again in middle school (since she was pretty young the first time we did the unit!).
Ocean Packet (100+ Pages): (You can scroll down below to see some photos of the pages that are included in this unit.)
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link!
Once you pay for this packet, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use), which will have a link you can click on to download the pdf. Of course, if you have any issues just email me at — liesl at homeschoolden dot com. You can also reach me by using the contact form on the blog. ~Liesl
NOTE: The Ocean Unit is included in the Biology Bundle of 5. (See this post or more details below).
And now, a bit more detail about what is included in the 100+ Page Ocean Packet:
Here’s what one Homeschool Mom said over on TpT about the Ocean Unit in Feb. 2020:
Awesome product! Highly recommend! One of my kiddos’ favorite units and this product helped with layers of ocean, animals, and made it fun, hands-on, something she looked forward to working on! Used with supplementing home school curriculum.
We had an amazing time with this unit! As I mentioned in previous posts, we learned a *ton* from the Blue Planet (affiliate link – available on DVD and Amazon streaming), an amazing documentary about the history of the world’s oceans and ocean life. We watched all 8 episodes and the kids absolutely *loved* the series!! This unit was much more meaningful with the stunning footage and information the kids learned in this series.
Then the kids did a number of hands-on activities and worked on the various notebook pages in this packet. I’ve already shared a lot of the details about our hands-on ocean activities, so I’ll just provide links to those (they are also included in the packet as well):
- Features of the Ocean Floor
- Ocean Activities: The Moon and Tides (Spring and Neap Tides and more!)
- Ocean Unit: 5 Salinity Activities & Why the Ocean is Salty
- Surface Currents, Deep Sea Currents Activities
- Ocean, Seas and Straits – Pin Map Printable
- Bioluminescence – no hands-on activities, but I did include a couple of the documentaries we watched in this part of the unit
Other notebook pages in the Ocean Packet not shown above: Earth systems (an introduction to the hydrosphere as one of the 4 major Earth systems); Earth’s crust (highest and lowest points on Earth), Earth’s Oceans – The Hydrosphere: A page with basic information about Earth’s oceans; divides and watersheds and an ocean drainage map, biological interactions of some ocean organisms – examples of mutualism and commensalism.
$37.99 Biology BUNDLE of 5: 1) Biology Unit (Biomes, habitats, food chains/webs, feeding relationships) 2) Scientific Classification & Taxonomy Packet 3) Ocean Unit & Layers of the Ocean/Ocean Zone Activities 4) Cells Unit 5) Botany Unit
These units are also sold separately. See the Biology BUNDLE Page for details.
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link from SendOwl (the delivery service I use)!
- Biology Unit: Biomes, habitats, ecosystem, biological interactions, feeding relationships (170 pages)
- Cells Unit (150+ pages) – cell theory, prokaryotic vs. eukaryotic cells, animal vs. plant cells, organelles of the cell, chloroplast anatomy, the layers of a leaf, photosynthesis and more.
- Botany Packet — (80 pages) Plant Classification, Life Cycle of the Moss, Fern, Conifer, Angiosperms, Parts of a Flower, Parts of a Seed, Seed & Fruit Development, Monocots vs Dicots – plus Carnivorous Plants Mini-Unit
- Ocean Unit – Layers of the Ocean/Ocean Zone: (100+ pages) Marine Habitats, Coral Reefs, Tide Pools, Water Form Words, Ocean navigation, Features of the ocean floor, salinity, ocean tides & currents, ocean life, bioluminescence & more!
- Scientific Classification and Taxonomy Packet (100 pages) dichotomous key activity, Linnaeus & the history of classification, learn the Animalia phyla (Annelids, Platyhelminthes, Nematodes, Cnidaria, Animalia, etc.)
Again, you can see the Biology BUNDLE Page for lots more pictures!
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link.Visit Our Store to see our other packets.
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here: