Human Body Activities
I thought ED and DD (4 and6) would really enjoy doing some activities related to the human body again. As it turned out DD was quite sick so ED and I worked on this ourselves. LD came in only at the end when we looked at the Bio Digital Human online.
First I outlined her body. Then she built her skeletal system. We love the book, Look Into Your Body: All About You From the Inside Out and have gotten SO much use out of it through the years! The skeleton puzzle is made of thick cardboard and has held up well through all three kids. As you can see, the skeleton is nearly the size of ED!
After reading through the book and playing with the Bio Digital Human (more about that below), ED colored in the major organs. We talked about the function of each organ as she colored it in.
We talked a bit about how the skeleton protects some our major organs like the brain, heart and lungs. ED loves to color and she decided the arms and legs needed to be colored in too!
We also went to the really fascinating website, the Bio Digital Human. Everyone enjoyed turning on and off the various systems (digestive, respiratory, etc.) and moving the body around to see it from all different angles front, back, sides, from the feet up, etc. You can move the body 3-dimensionally rotating in any direction imaginable!
We had to finish off the day reading through What Happens to a Hamburg? This is another book that we’ve read often through the years.
Human Skeleton Worksheets and Lapbook Pages
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link!
- Creating a Homeschool Science Curriculum (Elementary): Science topics to cover, choosing and preparing for units and more.
- Human Body Systems: (50+ page Packet)
- Digestive System Unit with lots of hands on activities!
- Human Body Unit: Heart and Circulatory System Activities
- Human Body Unit: The Human Hand
- Human Body Unit: The Brain
- Human Body Egg-speriment: Protect that Brain!
- Human Body: Skeletal System
- Meet Vertebrae Man: Our Hands on Study of the Backbone and Nervous System
- Digestive System Packet
- Choking, An Important Lesson for the Kids – A lesson about swallowing, the epiglottis and performing abdominal thrusts. Make your own (moveable) epiglottis with the printout to show how food is prevented from entering the windpipe:
- Digestive System: Hands-on Activities — Esophagus, Stomach and Small Intestines — 4 or 5 activities we did to see how the muscles of the throat worked, how nutrients pass through the small intestines… we even made fake vomit (uck!)
- Hands-On Activity: How Long is the Digestive Tract? The kids loved this… it went half-way up our driveway!
Check out our other science units and freebies:
Simple Machines: Lots of hands on activities
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
I’ve chosen not to use pop-up boxes at this point, but you can click here to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter! You’ll hear when we have new posts, packets and other homeschool-related news! ?