Coral Reef Worksheets & Activities
These new Corals and Coral Reef worksheets, notebook pages and the lapbook/interactive notebook activity have been added to our 100+page Ocean Unit.
In this part of our ocean unit, my daughter learned all about coral and coral reefs:
- What is coral?
- What do corals eat? (And what is the relationship between the algae, zooxanthellae, and corals.)
- How does a coral colony begin? (coral reproduction)
- What is a coral reef and where are they found?
- What are the three main types of coral reefs?
- What is the basic structure of a coral reef?
Here is a quick glance at the Coral Reef Notebook Pages.
There are fill-in-the-blank student coral reef worksheets as well as full (teacher) pages. If you prefer, your students can read the full-text pages provided (the answers are not highlighted so they can be used either way).
If your students enjoy interactive notebook pages, there is a set of coral reef lapbook pieces that covers the material as well. (There are suggested answers provided, but students can research and write in their own answers.)
She also did a notebook page on coral reef diversity and identified some of the sea life that can be found in coral reefs.
Note: If you purchased the Ocean Unit or the Biology Bundle of 5 already, check your PayPal email address for an email from SendOwl (the delivery service I use) for the update (which includes your download link!) You can also email me and I will get that for you! ~Liesl
Scroll down to see pictures of the ocean worksheets, notebook pages and Montessori cards included in this packet!
Recommended Ages: We did this unit in middle school, but it can be adapted for ages 10-15 or so. My kids were ages 8, 10 and 13 when we first did this unit. My youngest is now age 12 and she’s doing this unit again in middle school (since she was pretty young the first time we did the unit!).
Ocean Unit – $8.99
More pictures and details of what is included in our Ocean Unit can be found at this post or down below!!
Ocean Unit Topics:
Some of the other topics we covered in the ocean unit:
- Marine Habitats
- Coral Reefs
- Tide Pools
- Water Form Words (bay, estuary, lagoon, fjord, etc.)
- Features of the Ocean Floor (trench, seamount, guyot, etc.)
- Tides (and the Phases of the Moon)
- Ocean Navigation (early navigation with astrolabes & the constellations, modern SONAR)
- Ocean Currents (Surface & Deep Sea Currents)
- Ocean Life:
- Special Body Features
- Fish Body Shape and Movement
- Biological Interactions: Mutualism and Commensalism in the Ocean
- Deep Sea Life – Bioluminescence, Anglerfish
- The Ocean Zones
- There are lots of hands-on activity ideas included as well!
And now, a bit more detail about what is included in the 100+ Page Ocean Packet:
Salinity: Ocean Tides and Currents (and activity ideas):Ocean Life: Special Body Features, Body Shape and MovementBioluminescence:Ocean ZonesOther notebook pages in the Ocean Packet not shown above: Earth systems (an introduction to the hydrosphere as one of the 4 major Earth systems); Earth’s crust (highest and lowest points on Earth), Earth’s Oceans – The Hydrosphere: A page with basic information about Earth’s oceans; divides and watersheds and an ocean drainage map, biological interactions of some ocean organisms – examples of mutualism and commensalism.
The last time we did this unit, we did a lot of hands-on activities. I shared a lot of the details about our hands-on ocean activities, so I’ll just provide links to those (they are also included in the packet as well):
- Features of the Ocean Floor
- Ocean Activities: The Moon and Tides (Spring and Neap Tides and more!)
- Ocean Unit: 5 Salinity Activities & Why the Ocean is Salty
- Surface Currents, Deep Sea Currents Activities
- Ocean, Seas and Straits – Pin Map Printable
- Bioluminescence – no hands-on activities, but I did include a couple of the documentaries we watched in this part of the unit
Biology BUNDLE of 5
NOTE: The Ocean Unit is included in the Biology Bundle of 5 which includes
- Cell Unit
- Botany Unit
- Biology Unit (the biosphere, biomes, food web, etc.)
- Scientific Classification & Taxonomy Unit
- Ocean Unit (with the new Coral Reef materials!)
Scroll down for more pictures. These units are also sold separately. See this page for more details – Biology Bundle of 5
$28.99 Biology BUNDLE of 5: 1) Biology Unit (Biomes, habitats, food chains/webs, feeding relationships) 2) Scientific Classification & Taxonomy Packet 3) Ocean Unit & Layers of the Ocean/Ocean Zone Activities 4) Cells Unit 5) Botany Unit
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link from SendOwl (the delivery service I use)!
These units are also sold separately. Visit the Biology BUNDLE page for more details and lots more pictures!
See the Biology BUNDLE Page for lots more pictures of what is included!
Just before we studied the Hydrosphere (our Ocean Unit), we spent quite a bit of time studying the Biosphere. You might want to check out our Biology Unit (the Biosphere).
Biology Unit (the Biosphere, biomes, ecosystems, habitats, food chain/food webs, feeding relationships, etc.)
Scientific Classification and Taxonomy Unit
Botany Unit (Plant Classification, Plant Life Cycles, Parts of a Seed, Parts of a Flower)
Visit the Biology BUNDLE page for more details and lots more pictures of the units mentioned above!
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link.See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here. The Welcome Series includes 5 packed emails… with tips on homeschooling, keeping motivated, finding various resources and freebies tucked away on the blog and more!
Plus, you’ll be the first to hear about new packets (generally offered at a discount when they are first released), seasonal resources and more!