We have studied Ancient Egypt several times along our homeschool journey. It’s such a fun & intriguing unit for kids of all ages!
There are really fun crafts you can do with your young learners from making your own death mask or pyramid…
to re-creating the fertile Nile River Valley!
When my youngest was little older, we read through the Story of the World, vol. 1 (affiliate link) about the ancient world. ED LOVED the way this book is written. (She was 8.) We also listened to the Egyptian Myth CD again, Egyptian Treasures: Mummies and Myths (affiliate link). She really loved this CD as well.
The notebook pages below cover Upper and Lower Egypt and their unification, the myth about Osiris, hieroglyphics, mummification, and the Egyptian pyramids.
If you want to go into more depth, I recently created 70+ page Ancient Egypt Packet.
It includes a quite variety of materials
- Geography of Egypt, Fact sheet about modern Egypt (the capital, population, currency, and so forth).
- Landmarks of Egypt
- A 14-page booklet about Ancient Egypt (print one-sided and fold in half).
- Ancient Egypt Lapbook/Interactive Notebook pieces (the Nile River, jobs in ancient Egypt, the mummification process and more)
- Notebook pages on various topics
- Ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses cards, notebook page, gods-goddesses family tree relationships
- Ancient Egypt Timeline Cards (from the early settlement of the Nile River Valley 6000 BCE through the Roman Period 394 CE)
- Montessori-style cards (that go with the Ancient Egypt Safari Toob set– affiliate link)
This 75+page Ancient Egypt Packet includes notebook pages, ancient Egypt timeline cards, Egyptian gods & goddesses cards & activities, an Ancient Egypt lapbook – interactive notebook pages, geography materials and more!
Students will learn a lot about the 3,000-year history of Egypt… from the early dynasties through the Old, Middle and New Kingdoms of ancient Egypt. Students will also have the opportunity to learn about Egyptian mythology, learning how stories of the gods and goddesses helped guide the ancient Egyptians both in life and in death!
Here’s a more in-depth look at what is included in the Ancient Egypt Packet:
Pages 4-9 Geography Activities: Notebook Pages, Famous Landmarks Cut and Paste Activity – It’s often good to start with what you know, so I included some of the famous landmarks your students may be familiar with. You might want to point out that there were more than 1,300 years between the pyramids and Ramses II’s Temples!
Print the pages out one-sided, fold in half and bind (or staple) along the left hand side.
Pages 18-24 Ancient Egypt Booklet (Fill in the Blank)
Pages 38-41 Ancient Egypt Question Pages (for older students who don’t want to do a lapbook or use the interactive notebook pieces)
Pages 42-48 Ancient Egypt Cards & Activities that go with plastic Ancient Egypt TOOB figures (affiliate link) If you have younger kids, they might enjoy these Montessori cards and matching pages to go with the figures in this set!
These timeline cards include some of the major periods and major rulers from the early dynasties through the Roman period.
Pages 54-67 Egyptian Gods and Goddesses Materials
Egyptian mythology is really fascinating! Your kids will learn about the four siblings Osiris, Set, Isis and Nephthys… and how Set’s jealousy ultimately led to the beginning of mummification and a way for humans to attain the Afterlife! There are cards about each of the gods/goddesses, a (rough) family tree of the gods, a write-up of the Osiris-Isis myth plus student notebook pages. I also included a page that has larger pictures of each of the gods/goddesses if your student wants to do a poster project.
Page 68-76 Analyzing Primary Documents (Examining paintings from Egyptian tombs and so forth.)
Pages 77-82 Some history of Egypt notebook pages (including King Tut’s Tomb)
Pages 83-91 Comprehension Questions to go along with The Magic Tree House: Mummies in the Morning
Pages 97-98 Ancient Egypt Word Hunt
Pages 99-107 Ancient Egypt Coloring Pages
This was such a fun packet to research and put together!! I hope your family enjoys this unit!
As with many of our packets, the Ancient Egypt Packet was designed with the homeschool family in mind. It has some easier materials (like tracing pages for the Ancient Egypt Booklet) and cards that go along with the plastic ancient Egyptian figurines… but also includes history notebook pages that are more appropriate for older (upper elementary or middle school) students. The best age range is probably Grades 2-6 or so.
If you have any special requests, feel free to drop me an email!
The Ancient Egypt Packet is 75+ pages.
Ancient Egypt Packet
Books and resources that would enhance this unit. These are affiliate links.
- I mentioned above that I made a few pages to go along with the Ancient Egypt TOOB. It can be purchased from Amazon. If you have younger kids, you can bury the plastic figurines in the sand for them to dig out like an archaeologist!
- I also included some comprehension questions (and answer pages) to go along with the Magic Tree House Book #3: Mummies in the Morning. I added those pages because all three of my kids loved that particular book (but read more than a dozen of the books in this series)! You can probably tell that because of the sad shape of the front cover of our book in the picture above! This author also wrote a non-fiction companion book called Mummies and Pyramids that is also perfect for 6-10 year olds.
Here are some other books that you might also want on hand. Again, all of the answers are provided in the packet, so you do not have to have any of these specific books for our Ancient Egypt Unit. Any resource books you have on hand or get from the library will work!
- Story of the World vol. 1: None of the pages in this packet go specifically with this book, but my kids really loved this series when they were in elementary. It’s a great resource and is really accessible.
- Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt: Egyptian Mythology for Kids by Morgan E. Moroney. This books is available on Amazon Unlimited. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. It has a really easy to follow timeline. The myths are well written and it includes stories about Geb & Nut, Osiris, Isis, Set, Nephthys and others.
- Another mythology book we used was Egyptian Myths book (edited by Jacqueline Morley).
Other Ancient History Resources:
Don’t forget to check your PayPal email address for the download link.
This packet is 40+ pages.
$2.50 Ancient History Writing Paper Set (28 pages) – Writing paper on Ancient Israel, Egypt, Greece and Rome, as well as the Aztecs, Incas, and Vikings. Note: this set does not include teacher notes; this is a set of ancient history-themed writing stationery. (See this post for more details) Quick Preview
Be sure to visit our store to purchase some of our other packets and units.
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. I’ve chosen not to use pop-up boxes at this point, but you can click here to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
P.S. We also have a Multiplication & Division Worksheet Packet in an Ancient Egypt theme! (My daughter was *really* into all things Egypt at the time!!)
This Ancient Egypt-themed multiplication packet includes multiplication worksheets on specific times tables (and skip counting)
- Multiplication by 2s, 5s, 10s
- Multiplication by 3s, 6s
- Multiplication by 6s
- Multiplication by 4s, 8s
- Multiplication by 7s
- Multiplication by 7s, 9s
- Multiplication by 9s
- It also has a few division pages.
Multiplication Fact Review Packet – Ancient Egypt Theme
Be sure to check your PayPal email address for the download link!!
If you have any questions or problems with your order feel free to contact me: liesl at homeschoolden dot com or reply to the email from SendOwl. ~Liesl
Here’s more about our $7.00 Multiplication/Division BUNDLE. It includes the Ancient Egypt packet above and 20 other pdf sets! There are more than 300+ pages of worksheets, games, and activities!