We’ve done it — we’ve talked about our systems, routine, and chores. We’ve double checked that we have the books and supplies we need. We’re primed and excited for the new school year. Now… just one thing left… to be ready to jump right in!!
- Will you take back to school photos?
- Write a time capsule letter for the end of the school year?
- Celebrate with a field trip?
- Attend a “not-back-to-school picnic”? (Those are especially popular in our area!)
- Have a special homeschool play-date with friends?
- Bring out the new school supplies?
- Have a special breakfast planned?
- Start a new family novel together?
- Or will you just ease into the school year without much of a bump in the road?
- Will you be starting in with a full day of school and covering lots of new subjects?
- Or, will you ease back in over the course of the week or two adding in a subject or two at a time. (That’s what we tend to do.)
- Whatever you do, have fun!!
Homeschool Days: Be sure to keep your eye out for amazing homeschool opportunities in your community and farther afield. Many historic sites, museums, aquariums and others have amazing opportunities for homeschoolers in the early fall while the weather is still nice. Just google Homeschool Days 2016 and the name of nearby museums and historic sites in your area to see what you might find!!
For example, on Th-Fri Sept. 8 and 9, 2016 The Wilds in Ohio (North America’s largest conservation facility with over 9,000 acres to support exotic and endangered wildlife) is hosting their first ever Home School Overnight Program: CONSERVATION SCIENTISTS! (Find out more at their website: the Wilds and scroll way down the page. I’m not an affiliate, just passing on cool information!) I wish we could go to that! This was a picture from a safari we took a couple of years ago (and we did a homeschool program while we were there that was just great!) See more about our visit at this post: What?! A Safari in Ohio?!
Our family has gone twice to Colonial Williamsburg in September for their Homeschool Days. This year Homeschool Days in Williamsburg is September 10 to 25, 2016. When we went, we spent a week and soaking up all their amazing activities. It was phenomenal! (See more about it in these posts: Homeschool Week at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and Hands On Experiences at Colonial Williamsburg)
And of course we had to visit Jamestown while we were in that area!
Another example: The National Aquarium in Baltimore has special Homeschool Program on Sharks this year Sept 13, 14 and 15th, 2016.
Other places like the Philadelphia Museum of Art have regular homeschool workshops (homeschool museum classes) throughout the year.
No matter where you are, there are sure to be some amazing opportunities for homeschoolers! Keep your eyes open and have fun!!
Have a great day! Happy Homeschooling!! ~Liesl
Here are links to some of the other posts in our 10-Day Back to Homeschool Challenge Series. Just one more day to go!!
- Our first challenge was just to spend a few minutes reflecting on the journey we’re on and being grateful for the opportunities we have as homeschoolers
- Then we spent time Organizing our Homeschool Work Space
- And we made sure we’re *actually* ready to homeschool in each subject. Double checking that we have the curriculum & books we need.
- We topped up on Homeschool Office and Science Supplies (without overshopping!)
- We thought about Chores and Homeschool Life – Finding a chore system that works
- We talked about taking care of ourselves day-to-day and week-to-week.
- And, we put some plans in place for the inevitable Sick Days!
- Hold a Family Meeting – to help with routines, rules and expectations (as well as because they are just plain fun!)