Biology Unit — Free CDC Unit on Rabies
We are studying biology right now. Last week, the kids had to choose one of the biomes, do research about it, and prepare a 3 to 5 minute speech. They did a great job! This week, they are going to do another short research project. This time, I thought I would have the kids do another of the CDC units. Previously (a couple of years ago) they did projects on
- Zoonoses – Pet Diseases — at this post Free Units on Pets and Pet Diseases
- West Nile Virus — at this post Free CDC Lesson Plans: Science Ambassador Project:
This time we’re going to do their unit on rabies: what it is, how many people contract rabies, and how it can be prevented. You will find the CDC’s Rabies, the Global Connection Unit here. I like these units because they are more like guided research. (The kids know what to look for.) It’s a good skill to work on in late elementary/middle school, yet it doesn’t take weeks like larger, longer research projects do.
I printed out pages 9 through 15 for the kids. They’ll do the pre-test (testing their basic knowledge about rabies). Read the 3 case studies. And then I’m going to have them do the Rabies Webquest. The kids will probably spend two days on this.
Just so you know, one of the clickable websites they suggested in that unit has changed. I made the kids a new pdf with clickable links to help them with their Webquest. You can access it here:
CDC Science Ambassador Unit Rabies Webquest Links
You’ll find the whole range of CDC Lesson Science Ambassador Units here.
That’s my quick post about that! Hope someone finds this useful! 🙂
You might be interested in these other CDC Science Ambassador Units:
- Free CDC Lesson Plans: Science Ambassador Project: The project we did on the West Nile Virus
- Free Units on Pets and Pet Diseases – A different CDC Unit on Zoonoses
You might be interested in our other research projects:
- Animal Portfolio Project: Free Printable
- WWII Portfolio Project: Free Printable
- Biography Research Project: Free Printable
- Free Engineering Units: Grades 3-5, 6-8 From the Museum of Boston on topics such as urban landscape, engineering insulated homes, rockets, air drop packages and more
- Free Writing Workshop Resource Pack
- Creating a Homeschool Writing Workshop
If you find these useful, I’d love to hear from you here or over at my Homeschool Den Facebook Page. Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter! ~Liesl