Middle Eastern Lentil Soup – Crockpock Recipe
This soup has become one of our family favorites!
After soaking the lentils and soup beans, add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook for 6-8 hours.
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups dry lentils — These days I usually add 1 cup of lentils and about 3/4 cup of soup beans mix) — soaked for 1 1/2 hours, then rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped (these days, I usually don’t add this because I don’t have it on hand)
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce (I use low-salt soy sauce)
- 2/3 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice (or the juice of one fresh lemon)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon of Italian herb paste (I’m generous with this) — (Instead, you could also use 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon grass paste
Cook in the crockpot on high for 6-8 hours. I usually serve this with fresh homemade bread.