I have had the privilege of reviewing a new board game called Flip2BFit. This is so much more than a board game — it’s a full fitness workout! The kids and I had so much fun with this game. On the first day we tried it out, they liked it so much that they made Dad play it when he got home from work. The kids really enjoyed all the...
Hands-On Activities, Packets, Encouragement, and More!
Search Within Our Blog – Or scroll down to view the units we’ve covered!!
Hi! I’m Liesl!
Do you believe education can be exciting, inspiring, and full of joy? We do too!
I love the quote by William Butler Yeats, "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." It's about getting the kids involved, engaged, and fired up about learning (while juggling the rest of life too!)
A bit about me: I have my Master's from Brown University. I have more than 20 years of teaching experience. I was a high school teacher for many years both in the U.S. and internationally and also taught for the University of Maryland before leaving to homeschool my 3 wonderful kids.
To read more about us CLICK HERE.
Homeschool Den STORE
Click on the image to find out more about the units and packets we have available.
how do I start homeschooling
This post has links to dozens of posts and resources both for new and veteran homeschoolers for everything from finding homeschool curriculum to general homeschool advice and encouragement.
Science Units and Packets
What science topics could I teach my 5-7 year old - Homeschool Science Curriculum
Click on the image above to see the Science Units we covered in our homeschool from elementary through middle school (and beyond!).
Topics We’ve Covered
- 20th Century History
- Active Math Games
- Ages 2-6
- Ages 2-6: Apple Unit
- Ages 2-6: Bird Unit
- Ages 2-6: Clocks – Telling Time
- Ages 2-6: Fairy Tale Unit
- Ages 2-6: Fall Theme
- Ages 2-6: Fire Safety
- Ages 2-6: Flower Unit
- Ages 2-6: Penguin Unit
- Ages 2-6: Pete the Cat Unit
- Ages 2-6: Preschool (Age 4)
- Ages 2-6: Preschool and Toddler Activities
- Ages 2-6: Preschool at Home
- Ages 2-6: Preschool for ED – Fall 2011 (age 3 1/2)
- Ages 2-6: Theme Time (age 2-4)
- Ages 2-6: Toddler/Preschool Activities
- All About Homeschooling!
- Ancient World History
- Art History – Modern Art
- Arts and Crafts
- Asthma and Allergies
- Botany Unit
- Copywork Pages (Free)
- Critical Thinking Activities
- Death and Dying
- Ear Surgery
- electricity and circuits unit
- Elem-Children's Music 1 (6 yr old)
- Energy Pyrmaid
- Engineering – STEM Activities
- Engineering Challenges
- Facebook – Homeschool Den
- Family Meeting
- Food in America (concerns)
- Food Webs
- Free Calendar Planning Pages
- Free Curriculum Resource Guides
- Free Homeschool Planner
- Games for Thinking and Learning
- hands-on science
- High School Math
- Highlighting Past Posts
- History and World Cultures Units
- History: Africa Unit
- History: Age of Exploration
- History: American Colonies
- History: American History
- History: American West Unit
- History: Ancient Aztecs, Incas and Mayans
- History: Ancient Egypt
- History: Ancient Greece Unit
- History: China Unit
- History: Civics, Government and Economics
- History: Civil Rights Movement
- History: Geography Activities
- History: Geologic Timeline (Montessori)
- History: India Unit
- History: Japan Unit
- History: Middle Ages
- History: Native American Indians Unit
- History: Rensaissance and Reformation
- History: Slavery and the Civil War
- History: This is the United States-Unit Study (grade 1)
- History: World Religions
- Holiday: Christmas Activities
- Holiday: Earth Day
- Holiday: Easter
- Holiday: Father's Day
- Holiday: Halloween
- Holiday: Labor Day
- Holiday: Memorial Day
- Holiday: Mother's Day
- Holiday: New Years
- Holiday: Olympics
- Holiday: St. Patrick's Day
- Holiday: Thanksgiving
- Holiday: Valentine's Day
- Homeschool Den
- Homeschool Encouragement
- Homeschool High School
- Homeschool Mastermind Group
- Homeschool: Interviews with other Homeschoolers
- Homeschool: Month in Review
- Homeschool: Organizing and Cleaning
- Homeschool: Our Homeschool (what our day is like, curriculum choices, etc.)
- Homeschool: Planning and Preparation
- Homeschool: Random Thoughts
- Homeschool: Useful Resources (websites books etc)
- Homeschooling in the News
- How to Start Homeschooling
- Kindergarten Math
- Language Arts – Grammar Spelling Reading Writing Categories
- Language Arts – Grammar Worksheets
- Language Arts: Books: Children's Literature
- Language Arts: Reading
- Language Arts: Spelling
- Language Arts: Writing
- Math – Algebra
- Math – Percents Fractions and Decimals
- Math General Posts
- Math-Roman Numerals
- Math: Pre-Algebra
- Math: Preschool Math
- Mom Stories
- Montessori (general info)
- Must Read
- Outdoor Fun
- Outdoor: Fossils
- Preparing for College
- Science Experiments
- Science Units
- Science: Animal Characteristics
- Science: Astronomy Unit
- Science: Biology Unit
- Science: Biomes; Animal Habitats
- Science: Cell Unit
- Science: Chemistry Unit
- Science: Digestive System
- Science: Dinosaurs Unit
- Science: Earth Science Unit
- Science: Electricity and Circuits Unit
- Science: Energy Unit
- Science: Food Chains
- Science: Garden Science
- Science: Hibernation
- Science: Human Body Unit
- Science: Magnets
- Science: Natural Disasters Unit and Activities
- Science: Ocean Unit
- Science: Physics Unit
- Science: Plant Unit
- Science: Rain Forests
- Science: Rocks and Minerals
- Science: Simple Machines Unit
- Science: States of Matter Unit
- Science: Taxonomy Scientific Classification
- Science: The 5 Senses
- Science: Vertebrates – Invertebrates
- Science: Water Unit
- Science: Weather Unit
- Science: Whale Unit
- Sign Language
- Starting to Homeschool
- Story of the World
- Summer Activities
- Trips We've Taken
- U.S. Presidents
- Where We Used to Live (Australia posts)
- Winter Unit
- World Animals
- World War I
Homeschool Resources and Books
A list of the books we've used most in history, science, math, language arts, etc.
Earth Science Bundle
Click the image to check out our packets on Earth Science, Rocks and Minerals, the Atmosphere, Weather, Energy and More!
Units are also sold separately.
Earth Science Packet
This is one of our most popular units. It covers the Layers of the Earth, Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, Volcanoes and More! It is included in the Earth Science Bundle (see the picture/link above).
Click the image to see our Biology Units on Animal and Plant Cells; the Biology Unit on Biomes, Food Chains, Symbiosis; Scientific Classification & Taxonomy (Domain/Kingdom/Phylum/Class, etc.); Botany - Plant Kingdom and Oceans and Oceanography.
Big Animal Bundle
Click on the image to see our Animal Bundle - including the Animal Unit, Life Cycles, the Rainforest, Winter (Polar Animals) & Hibernation, Chameleons, Wolves, Cicadas and more!
Human Body Systems Bundle
The Human Body Systems, Skeletal, Digestive, Circulatory, Muscular, Nervous, Endocrine Systems and More (with lots of hands-on activity ideas)! We usually study a different body system each year.
Click on the image to see our units on the States of matter, Properties of Matter, Electricity & Circuits, and the Chemistry Unit (Get to know the Periodic Table in a fun way!)
Free Science Checklist – Elementary and Middle School
This is a free checklist I put together of the various science units I hope to cover in the elementary and middle school years.
World Facts Packet
Do your kids know the 4 largest countries? Which countries have the most people? The longest river? This packet covers basic world and U.S. facts and also covers geographic features and land forms.
This is one of the best values we have... more than 20 PDFs with games, activities and worksheets to learn/practice the multiplication facts ($7.00).
Click on the image to discover some of the pages, posts and homeschool resources within our blog that might be the most useful for you including a long list of our freebies!
Human Body Systems Worksheet Packet
How the body is organized from cells to tissues... organs to body systems
Click on the image to check out some of the Spanish worksheet bundles we have available!