In this post, I want to highlight some fun rainforest resources and printables that would really add to any rainforest unit!
Earlier this summer, I came across these beautiful rainforest animal masks and wanted to be sure to mention them to those of you with younger kids – preK and early elementary! And, for those with kids ages 7-10 or so, you might want to check out our Rainforest Packet.
These free printable masks are available from Jan Brett’s website here: masks from Jan Brett’s book, The Umbrella.
These animals are from the book called The Umbrella. (affiliate link)
When Carlos drops his umbrella to climb a tree for a better view of the animals, they all cram into the banana-leaf umbrella as it floats by–from the little tree frog to the baby tapir to the big jaguar and more. It gets so crowded in the umbrella that there isn’t even enough room for a little hummingbird! So over the umbrella tumbles, everyone falls out!
This is similar to one of her other famous books, The Mitten, and my kids loved acting out that book, (see this post) when they were younger!
The Umbrella would be a fun book to act out too… When you first read the book aloud, have all the masks on a chair or table in front of you. As you start the story, have the kids ‘be’ Carlos and drop a real umbrella (face up). Then have the kids find the tree frog and have him jump into the umbrella. Continue reading the story and have the kids add the toucan, the kinkajou, the tapir, the quetzal, the monkey, the jaguar… and when the hummingbird tries to land on the umbrella, have the kids tip the umbrella over having all the other animal fall out of the umbrella… and have Carlos walk home. 🙂 Again, you’ll find the free printable masks here: masks from The Umbrella.
I noticed that she also has quite a number of Rainforest coloring pages including an umbrella, just like the one in the book! You’ll find her free rainforest coloring pages here (click on the link or the picture below):
You could print out several picture of the rainforest tree and stack them on top of each other to make an entire rainforest scene!! The animals above can be printed separately or together.
Some other rainforest resources that are great for kids include
- The Great Kapok Tree (affiliate link) has gorgeous illustrations and is a story of the many animals that live in just one tree. They each convince a logger not to cut down the great tree. This books is wonderful for most any age. I read it to the kids when they were in PreK and early elementary, but my older two enjoyed it even now. (And they’re in middle school now.)
- We also started Adventures in the Rainforest, Discovering Biodiversity. (affiliate link) This is about two kids who accompany their uncle to a field camp in the Amazon rainforest. There the kids learn what scientists do as they study rainforest plants, aquatic systems, invertebrates, frogs and snakes, birds, and mammals. The kids learn about some of the methods used by scientists as they study each of these different areas. This book will probably take you several days to read as well, but it covers some excellent information in a way that is accessible to kids. It is a longer books, so I would recommend it more for Grade 2 and up.
- We also read through In the Rainforest, (affiliate link) which I would recommend for K-Gr.3… though again, my older two listened in. ?
When we studied the rainforest again, I got the kids a giant rainforest floor puzzle. (affiliate link) The artwork is really beautiful! Because it has such big pieces, it is perfect from even the early ages. I got it for my girls and they were 9 and 11 last year, but wish I’d had this in our homeschool cabinet years earlier. It’s pretty, don’t you think?!
- Amazon Rainforest Facts – Notebook pages and answers pp. 3-4
- Amazon Rainforest Biodiversity and Deforestation pp. 5-6
- Map Work –South America – Brazil pp. 7-8
- Amazon River Notebook Page and answers pp. 10-11
- Average Rainfall in Temperate vs. Tropical Climates (Activity) pp. 12-13
- Amazonian Animals Montessori 3-Part Cards pp. 14-18
- Amazonian Animals Matching Page and answer sheet pp. 19-20
- Animals of the Amazon Blank Research Cards pp. 21-31
- Amazon Animal Fun Fact Tracing Pages pp. 33-35
- Insects of the Amazon pp. 36-37
- Insects of the Amazon, Montessori 3-Part Cards pp. 38-39
- Insects of the Amazon Matching Page and Answer Sheet 40-41
- Insects of the Amazon blank research cards pp. 42-44
- Layers of the Rainforest Activities pp. 45-58
And this is the rainforest diorama that the girls made
You can read more about our Amazon Rainforest Unit at this post. This packet focuses exclusively on the Amazon Rainforest.
Remember, the Rainforest Packet is included in the Big Animal Bundle which includes 1) Animal Unit, 2) World Animals Packet, 3) Rainforest Packet, 4) Life Cycles Packet, 5) Winter Packet (See details below).
Our Amazon Rainforest Unit is 50+ pages. It is $4.00. (Note: The price will be increasing soon.)
Once you pay for this packet, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use) to your PayPal email address, which will have a link you can click on to download the Cell unit. (It will say, “You can download your digital products…” with a clickable link.) Of course, if you have any issues just email me at — liesl at homeschoolden dot com. You can also reach me by using the contact form on the blog.
$4.99 $4.00 until Sept. 28th
See the Big Animal Bundle option below!
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. ~Liesl
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
You might also want to check out our World Animals Packet. I recently added an entirely new section on the animals of the African Savanna!
$5.99 Animal Unit (100+ pages) – This unit covers animal characteristics, Feather, fur or scales?, animal classification (the animal kingdoms, vertebrates and invertebrate groups), insects vs. spiders, animal tracks, animals homes and shelters, and more! Quick Preview
$4.99 World Animals Unit (75+ pages) Animals of the 7 Continents: Montessori 3-part cards and Activity Pages and the new animals of the African Savanna, Quick Preview
$4.99 $4.00 Amazon Rainforest Packet (50 pages) Quick Preview $4.99 $4.00 Life Cycles Packet (50 pages) Explore the life cycles of the chicken, sea turtle, frog, mosquito, butterfly, dragonfly, bee, ladybug, mouse Quick Preview
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well.
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here:
You might also be interested in our Simple Machines Packet:
You might also be interested in our 50+ page States of Matter Packet