I made two new grammar practice sheets for the kids that I’ll share with you today. One sheet has the eight apostrophe rules. The kids have to place apostrophes where necessary and decide which rule is being used. The other sheet requires them to chose the correct form of they’re/there/their or its/it’s. The answer key for that is also included (though not shown below).
In addition to our free grammar worksheets, we have also been using the Write Source Skills Books for years. They provide some basic grammar rules and are straight forward. I have found that I need to supplement these (with our own sheets) as I spot problems in their writing, but I’m quite happy with these, especially at the price (below $10). Amazon carries them and here a link to one of the books, Write Source: Skillbook Grade 5, (affiliate link). ED is finishing up the Grade 2 Skillsbook: Write source Skills Book (affiliate link).
The other book that we have used in the past year or so are the Editor in Chief® books by the Critical Thinking Company. (affiliate link). I really like these books because they have a short paragraph and tell the kids exactly what kind and how many errors to look for. And, these books, unlike the SkillsBook above provide the answers in the back so the kids can check their own work.
Here are some of the other free language arts related materials I’ve made for the kids:
- Here is another practice sheet I made for their/there/they’re and its/it’s
- 11 Comma Rules and Practice (This latest practice sheet includes several rules not included in the sheets I posted below)
- Grammar Worksheets: Synonyms and Antonyms:
- Comma Rules and Practice Worksheets
- Comma Rules and Practice Worksheets (Fall Theme)
- Grammar Practice: Possessive Nouns and Pronouns
- Free Grammar Worksheets: Homophones (words that sound the same, but are spelled differently)
- The use of apostrophes, quotation marks and underlining
- 11 Comma Rules and Practice
- Grammar Practice Sheets: Irregular Verbs and Nouns
- More Irregular Verb and Plural Noun Practice Sheets
- Grammar Sheets: Lay-Lie, Piece-Peace, Accept-Except
You might also be interested in this post: Our Homeschool Language Arts, Spelling, and Grammar Curriculum
Spelling Activities we have over at our blog: