Have you heard of a seguin board? It’s a Montessori math tool for helping young kids understand place value. When ED was little (about 3), I made a printable and used it to work with her when she was ready to tackle the teen numbers. She used to skip some of the numbers after 13.
I used a homemade version of the Montessori seguin board (download the seguin board activity packet I made here). It’s a board with lots of 10s in a column. The child then places a digit over the zero to make 11, 12, 13, etc.
1) First ED counted the number of animals.
2) Then she pulled out the same number of beads. I made a big deal about the group of 10 beads being called her special ‘golden beads.’ She promptly fell in love with them!
3) Next she chose the proper digit and placed it in the ones column to make it “one ten and one” (for 11), “one ten and two” (for 12) and so forth.
If you’re interested, I made a packet of the seguin materials that you can download free. You can also buy a proper wooden seguin board (such as this teens board (Alison Montissori) or this teens and tens board (Kid Advance)), but I never used them enough with my older two to warrant the price.
Don’t miss these post with tons of PreK Math activity ideas: Math for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds
Other related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- Animals and Their Groups – Sorting Cards
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
- Various Free Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Teach Your Child to Read for fun ideas that help your child learn to read!