We had an amazing time studying the Digestive System. We did a whole range of hands-on activities from making our own epiglottis to seeing how the digestive tract works (how nutrients pass through). We made “fake”vomit, measured out the length of the digestive system and more! I also made notebook for the kids as we went through this unit.
Our Digestive System Packet is 40+pages has worksheets and activities on the following areas:
- Part I: Digestive System — Mouth
- Part II: Digestive System — Swallowing, How the epiglottis works
- Part III: Digestive System — The Digestive Tract
- This packet also include lapbook pieces for interactive notebooks.
Here are some of the materials that are included in the Digestive System Packet:
The activity directions for “How long is the digestive tract”
The kids were impressed with just how long the digestive tract is!!!
The Digestive System Unit Packet now includes lapbook/notebook pieces: Also included are worksheets and our hand-on activities of the mouth
Once you pay for this packet, you will immediately receive a link to download this file (which will open in a browser window). You will also receive an email from Sendowl (the service I use), which will have a link you can click on to download the Digestive System Unit. (It will say, “You can download your digital products…” with a clickable link.) Of course, if you have any issues just email me at — liesl at homeschoolden dot com. You can also reach me by using the contact form on the blog or can reach me over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page.
We had two books we really used a lot for these units: Human Anatomy Coloring Book (affiliate link) has pages you can print out and color in.
And the The Body Book: Easy-to-Make Hands-on Models That Teach (affiliate link) has really neat models that you can make. We did the joints, bones of the body (see our model here), and some other things, but more about those in those other posts.
Overview of the Human Body Systems
We started this unit with a fun album called the Human Body Rock (we borrowed it from the library, but it’s available at Amazon) that we listened to as we made our two trips to the doctors last week (for LD’s allergy shots). The first song goes over the body systems in a fun, general way and we used that as a spring-board for talking about all the systems. We reviewed all the Human Body Systems. Find out more about our Human Body Systems Packet here:
I also made a chart and we wrote down some of the lyrics to the song.
- immune system — defends our body
- skeletal system — all your bones
- excretory system — cleans our body of poisons
- muscular system — all your muscles
- endocrine system is in control of the thyroid glands
- digestive system — mouth and stomach
- respiratory system — delivers your oxygen
- nervous system — is your control center
- circulatory system — is your life pump that keeps your blood flowing
We also have a Human Skeleton System Worksheet and Lapbook Packet which is about 30 pages. Find out more here:
We are in the process of making a Muscular System Packet, but that won’t be available until the Spring of 2016.
Also Coming Soon:
Related Posts That Might Be of Interest:
- Creating a Homeschool Science Curriculum (Elementary): Science topics to cover, choosing and preparing for units and more.
Check out our other science units and freebies:
- Rocks and Minerals: Free 25 page packet, free pages on the 3-types of rocks, lots of hands on activities
- Simple Machines: Lots of hands on activities, plus student worksheets
Remember, if you think you missed some recent posts, you can check out my Homeschool Den Facebook page. I put up a quick synopsis my posts so it’s a quick way to browse through and click on recent posts you may have missed.