We took much of the summer off. We started easing back into a bit of school after our trip to Colorado. We start earlier than others in our area because we take time off and family trips when it suits us.
Over the summer, I continued to skip count by 2s, 5s and 10s when she brushed her teeth. Since we never really covered the concept of odds and evens, that was one of the first things we covered.
I showed her how the odd numbers never have a partner and are the “odd man out.” Even numbers always have a partner. Then I told her she knew tons and tons of even numbers. She looked at me wide-eyed, but when I started counting by 2s she laughed and quickly joined in!
Then I had her grab three huge fist-fulls of tiles (anything would work). I told her to figure out whether there was an odd number or an even number. She quickly set to work.
Another thing we started with was some calendar work. It was the 12th of August. She placed the 12 on Monday and then placed all the numbers that came before and after that onto the magnetic calendar. (Thank you for that, R!!!)
We went over the days of the week, seasons and months of the year (briefly).
I’m out of time at the moment, but I’ll be back tomorrow to share her math lapbook and then some of the games she’s been playing.
You might want to read this post on Kindergarten Math Addition Games/Place Value Activities
You might also be interested in:
Yesterday’s post, Kindergarten Math: First Activities of the Year
Telling Time Kitty Clocks, which I’ll probably add to the lapbook.
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Free Math Lapbook (PreK-K)
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- U.S. Landmarks and Symbols – 3 part cards (Free Montessori Cards)
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
- Animals and Their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Montessori 3-Part Cards
Dinosaur Packet and Lapbook for Ages 3-7: 60+ Page Dinosaur Packet!
- Montessori 3-Part Dinosaur Cards
- Dinosaur Lapbook
- Letter Recognition Activities
- Number Activities and Games
- Dinosaur Game Board
- Fast Fact Information Cards
- Dinosaur Writing Cards
- Math Games
- Bingo Cards and more!