This morning I happened to come across an interview with Susan Wise Bauer. She is a well-known author in the homeschooling community and she has homeschooled for 17 years. She herself was homeschooled with her two siblings. In this video-interview she discussed homeschooling through the teenage years. Two of her children have now graduated and she talked a lot about her perspective on educating her kids through high school and college. Though my kids are still young, it’s really useful to think about what is coming down the road. It was a really terrific piece (thank you, Susan!!). I thought I’d pass this along for those who might be interested:
Luckily for us, my sister homeschools and my nieces and nephew are 16, 14 and 11. I really love seeing how their family is working through the higher grades. I often have long conversations with my sis to hear how things are going (and tuck that information into the back of my mind for when my kids approach that age)! To hear a few of her thoughts yourself, you can read my interviews with my sister from last June here: Part I: Homeschooling through spousal deployment and Part II: Homeschooling through High School.
The one thing that really sticks out in my mind after listening to this interview and after talking with my sister is that homeschooling is a journey. We all have to figure out what is best for our kids each step along the way and the path taken may not be the one we expect.
By the way, you can read all my homeschool interviews (with a Montessori homeschooler, a classical homeschooler, etc.) by selecting the categories button in the left sidebar and selecting interviews with other homeschoolers.
Now I’d better go round-up the kids and start homeschooling ourselves! LD is lost in a book (he’d read all day if I let him!) and the girls have disappeared upstairs playing an involved game of ‘pets!’ But with other activities we need to race off to in a few hours, we’d better start our day!
You might be interested in our other Homeschool Interviews and Guest Posts:
- An Interview with A Homeschooling Dad
- An Interview with a Christian Classical Educator (Part 1) and (Part 2)
- An Interview with a Montessori Homeschooler
- Homeschooling Through a Virtual School
- Homeschooling in Australia
- An Interview with Erica of Confessions of a Homeschooler
- Interview with a Radical Unschooling Family
- Guest Post: Working Outside the Home, Homeschooling Mom – A guest post by one of my very best friends! 🙂
- 11 Year Old Shares Her Thoughts on Homeschooling – The daughter of my friend (above) wrote this!
- Guest Post by My Homeschooling Sister: Intensity in Learning
- Homeschooling Through Spousal Deployment, a Destructive Flood and More (Another post featuring my sister’s homeschool journy. They lost their house during flooding in Nashville 5 years ago.) and Part 2 of that post–Homeschooling Through High School (My sister’s kids are Older than Mine!)
- Homeschooling Through the Teenage Years: Video by Susan Wise Bauer
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page!