Since I talked so much about the ocean yesterday, I thought I would share some of the ocean related freebies I made for our ocean unit last fall. I hope someone finds these helpful.
Remember, crustaceans, arachnids and insects are all part of the arthropod group (look at this chart to see what I mean). This is not a complete list of invertebrate groups, just some of the ones we studied last fall.
Here are some Invertebrate Cards-Ocean I made when we were studying the ocean
We did an activity about the ocean zones. Visit that post here to find out more details:
Ocean Unit Resources: For this unit, we are using a number of books from the library, but the main spine for our unit is our large 100+ page Ocean Packet which will be available at some point soon. It is well over 100+ pages at this point and keeps growing as I add in this-and-that! It covers marine habitats, ocean zones, ocean features, tides and other topics. ~Liesl
That’s about it for today. If you missed yesterday’s post about the Seashore Life we saw at the Outer Banks, NC you might want to see some of the creatures we came across. Nothing like the real thing to learn from, right?!
You might be interested in these related posts:
One of the books we used for this unit was Awesome Ocean Science!: Investigating the Secrets of the Underwater World (affiliate link) by Cindy Littlefield.
Another book full of ideas for learning about the ocean is: The Ocean Book: Aquarium and Seaside Activities and Ideas for All Ages (affiliate link)
- School of Fish Activity
- Layers of the Ocean: Ocean Zones
- Ocean Unit Freebies
- Ocean Animals and Their Groups
Seashore Life Don’t miss our pictures from the Atlantic Ocean with everything from crabs and sea anemones to sea cucumber and skate… pictures from the beach, not from the aquarium!!
If you have older kids, you might be interested in our 65+ page Ocean Unit Packet
The kids learned about
- Marine Habitats
- Water Form Words (bay, estuary, lagoon, fjord, etc.)
- Features of the Ocean Floor (trench, seamount, guyot, etc.)
- Ocean Navigation (early navigation with astrolabes & the constellations, modern SONAR)
- Ocean Currents (Surface & Deep Sea Currents)
- Ocean Life:
- Special Body Features
- Fish Body Shape and Movement
- Biological Interactions: Mutualism and Commensalism in the Ocean
- Deep Sea Life – Bioluminescence, Anglerfish
Be sure to see the related posts:
- Montessori Cards: Vertebrates and Invertebrates – Free Printable
- Animals and Their Groups
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Animal Portfolio Project (for ages 8-10 or so)
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Have a great day! ~Liesl and the Kids