This idea was adapted from Awesome Ocean Science!: Investigating the Secrets of the Underwater World (affiliate link) by Cindy Littlefield. She suggests using glitter.
Another book full of ideas for learning about the ocean is: The Ocean Book: Aquarium and Seaside Activities and Ideas for All Ages (affiliate link)
You might be interested in these related posts:
- Ocean Unit Freebies for PreK-K
- Ocean Activities: The Ocean Zones
- Ocean Activities – diorama
- Ocean Animals and their Groups
- Whale Unit (and the Arctic) — Icebergs, Blubber experiment, Buoyancy and more
- Whale Unit – Migration, Echolocation, Baleen vs. Toothed Whales
- Whale Unit – How salt water affect buoyancy – Drawing whales and dolphins
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.