The Three Types of Rocks
The first thing we did together was to sing the “Rock Song.”
It was to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat and
talked about how sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic
rocks are formed.
Then he put the cards in the rocks and minerals chart.
He really loved that and thought the chart/cards were “cool.”
New Rocks and Minerals Unit!
The material above was made many years ago when my kids were quite little. I have made a huge new 100+ page Rocks and Minerals Unit if you are interested! See details here.
You might also be interested in our Earth Science Packet: We did a ton of hands-on activities as we studied
- the solar system
- layers of the Earth, Earth’s axis
- compass directions, compass rose, how to use a compass
- Earth’s geologic timeline
- equator, latitude, longitude — Using a globe to determine latitude and longitude
- Pangaea and continental drift
- understanding convection currents
- tectonic plates
- 4 types of mountains
- 3 types of faults
- earthquakes and faults
- volcanoes – volcanic terms, types of volcanoes
- earthquakes and building construction, earthquake shake table
You might also want to check out our Layers of the Atmosphere Packet
The Earth Science Packet can bundled with our Layers of the Atmosphere Packet
You will find this packet and more in our Store!